Prep time, 10 minutes Cook time 1 to 1 1/2 hours
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 plump garlic cloves
- 3 cups plum tomatoes
- 4 cups water
- 2 lbs sweet onion cut into large slices
- 1 tablespoon salt
- sprinkle of Pecorino cheese
1. put oil in bottom of stock pot set over medium heat and scatter in the sliced garlic. Let the garlic sizzle for a minute then fill the pan with the onion slices and sprinke the salt over them. Stir the onions so they are all coated. Cook them slowly, stirring frequently, for 15 minutes or so, until they have reduced in volume and become translucent.
2. Pour in the crushed tomatoes and water. Stir in with the onions and cover the pan, then adjust the heat to keep the soup simmering gently. cook covered for 45 mins. Uncover and cook until the volume is reduced approx 15-25 minutes.
3. When ready to serve sprinkle on the pecorino cheese. If you like you can also add a piece of melba toast for that french onion soup affect and this recipe is AWESOME!
I dont feel like I am on a diet when I eat this. :-)